Case Paper was founded in the early 1940s by Irv Schaffer and brothers Oscar and David Kosh, although its actual origins can be traced back to the mid-1930s, when the founders met each other as salesman for the Aronson Paper Co. Irv was the first to start his own business in partnership with steel exporter Livingston & Southard.
Shortly after the company was founded, the threat of shipments being torpedoed by German U-boats during WWII put an end to the plan of exporting paper and instead the partners set up a domestic operation under the name of Case Paper Company.
Although the team struggled to source paper during the war years, they eked out a living in a converted 19th-century stable on Downing Street. Once the war ended, they purchased a building in Greenwich Village, which became their headquarters until 1958, when they built a 100,000-square-foot warehouse in Long Island City. Here the company expanded not only its space but also its business operations to include slitters, sheeters, and guillotine cutters. By the mid-1960s, Case Paper had become a major converter of fine papers for printers throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Today, the company operates seven branch locations across the U.S. Due to the skills of its professional management teams, Case Paper is now a major supplier to the commercial printing, packaging, and forms industries across the United States and Canada.